Key volunteer roles
Key volunteers play a critical role in the success of the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle, as their enthusiasm, support and dedication help make race weekend a memorable experience for thousands of participants and volunteers. Thank you for your interest in becoming a key volunteer!
Descriptions of each key volunteer role are listed below.
Packet Pick-up key volunteers are stationed in Grant Park on Friday, March 24 and Saturday, March 25. Key volunteers must be available to volunteer for the entirety of both days.
- Packet Pick-up officially kicks off race weekend and is often the very first stop for many participants, bringing their planning and preparation to life. Key volunteers assist with the volunteer check-in process or supervise volunteers distributing packets and t-shirts to participants.
The Mile key volunteers are stationed in Grant Park on Saturday, March 25.
- The Mile was introduced as a new addition to race weekend in 2019. The Mile takes place on Saturday of race weekend and highlights Chicago’s diverse running community. Key volunteers lend a hand at the start line, finish line and other areas as needed.
Race day key volunteers are stationed in Grant Park on Sunday, March 26.
- Finish line key volunteers will work with other operations staff to manage volunteers at the finish line to ensure continuous participant flow and efficient distribution of materials. They will also assist with the setup and clean-up of their respective stations.
- Gear check key volunteers oversee general volunteers and operations of the three gear check tents, where they will keep gear organized, volunteers on task and help with any long queuing or missing items.
- Harrison Volunteer Compound key volunteers help manage operations and the volunteer check-in process at the Harrison Volunteer Compound, ensuring that general volunteers depart prepared and ready to tackle their tasks.
- Information team key volunteers will oversee teams of volunteers in designated zones throughout Grant Park, where they will be responsible for answering event-related questions and directing participants and spectators to their key destinations.
- Information tents are stationed throughout Grant Park and staffed with a pair of key volunteers who help answer event-related questions and direct eager participants and spectators to key destinations.
- Start hydration key volunteers will supervise a group of volunteers and oversee the setup and clean-up of a start hydration station where water and Gatorade are distributed to participants before the start of the race.
- Start line key volunteers will oversee start corral volunteers and operations, providing instructions and management throughout the morning to help keep participants organized as they advance to the start.
- Sustainability key volunteers work with general volunteers in high traffic areas to educate participants on items that can be recycled, composted or donated. The Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle takes event sustainability seriously.
Open to opportunities – Key volunteers who are flexible and open to roles anywhere need demands are highly sought after and always appreciated. Individuals without preference to an area could be placed on any of the teams mentioned above.
Key volunteer application
Return to the key volunteer application page to learn more and to apply.