Join the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle race weekend excitement by tackling a shorter distance and taking part in The Mile event on Saturday, March 21. The Mile will welcome runners of all abilities from the next generation of shufflers to local elites on a course that weaves through Grant Park.Sign up for The Mile at the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle
The Mile will feature waves that highlight the diverse nature of Chicago’s running community.
- Recreational: Join friends and family for a run through Chicago’s Grant Park.
- Competitive: Compete against runners from the Chicago area and across the Midwest. The suggested mile pace for this wave is under 8 min/mile.
- Elite: This invitational wave will feature local elite runners.
Runners will receive a 2020 race shirt and an event bib and timing device.
View the 2020 course map. (.pdf)
Event entry requirements
- Registrants for The Mile must be capable of maintaining a 20:00/mile pace. Completing the full event distance, start line to finish line, within the event time requirement (hh:mm:ss/00:20:59).
- Participants must be 8 years of age or older on event day. Participants under 18 years of age must have a statement signed by a parent or legal guardian permitting participation.
- Sale and/or transfer of race entries/bib numbers is strictly prohibited. All entry fees are non-refundable, and may not be deferred toward a future event.
- Read the official event rules.
Bib and t-shirt pick-up for The Mile will take place on Friday, March 20 at McCormick Place and Saturday, March 21 in Grant Park. You must pick up your items in advance of your wave start on Saturday. The start area will close 5 minutes prior to the start of each wave.
Friday, March 20
McCormick Place, South Building, S100 Ballroom
10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday, March 21
Grant Park, Butler Field (Petrillo Music Shell)
9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Saturday, March 21
Grant Park, Chicago
9:30 a.m. – Bib and t-shirt pick-up opens
9:30 a.m. – Gear check opens
11:00 a.m. – Recreational wave start
11:40 a.m. – Competitive wave start
12:00 p.m. – Elite wave start
12:00 p.m. – Awards ceremony (immediately following the conclusion of the Elite Wave)
12:30 p.m. – Gear check closes
*Times subject to change.
Prohibited devices on course
Wheeled devices are not permitted for use on The Mile course by anyone other than registered and authorized wheelchair, handcycle or duo team participant. Prohibited wheeled devices include non-registered wheelchairs and handcycles, baby joggers, strollers, skateboards, rollerblades and bicycles.
The use of selfie-sticks, camera mounts, video devices, computers or any similar devices by anyone while participating in the event is prohibited.
Music devices with headphones are permitted for use on the course; however, participants must be alert to their surroundings at all times and must pay attention to important announcements made in Grant Park and along the course.
Per USATF rules, participants competing for awards, medals, or prize money in the individual elite field are prohibited from using personal listening/music devices.