VOLUNTEER GROUP ASSIGNMENTS
Within the group leader application, you can select your group’s assignment preference from the following options. Please note that each group will be assigned according to past experience and event needs, and assignments are filled on a first come first served basis. Some groups may be divided or reassigned as needed.
Friday, March 22 & Saturday, March 23
Packet Pick-up officially kicks off race weekend and is often the very first stop for many participants, bringing their planning and preparation to life. Volunteers assist with distributing packets and t-shirts to participants.
Saturday, March 23
The Mile was introduced as a new addition to race weekend in 2019. The Mile takes place on Saturday of race weekend and highlights Chicago’s diverse running community. Volunteers support race day bib pick-up, gear check, start line and finish line!
Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K Run and 2-Mile Walk
Sunday, March 24
- Aid station: Volunteers will distribute water and Gatorade to participants, as well as assist with the setup and cleanup of the aid station.
- 2-Mile Walk: Because these positions have shorter volunteer shifts, they are a perfect introduction to the Shamrock Shuffle. Volunteers will serve at the aid station or as course marshals for the scenic 2-mile course along Chicago’s lakefront.
- Start line: Join the excitement at the start line by regulating access to the start corrals and assisting with the forward progress of participants through the corrals.
- Finish line: Volunteers will have the opportunity to congratulate runners as they distribute items at the finish line, such as food, water, Gatorade or beer.
- Participant services: This team is devoted to ensuring race participants have an excellent experience before and after the race. Start hydration volunteers prepare and distribute Gatorade and water to participants before they make their way to the start line. Gear check volunteers collect and organize gear check bags from participants before the race and return them afterward.
- Sustainability: Help us make a difference beyond race day! Sustainability volunteers assist race participants and spectators to correctly recycle and compost specific products distributed by the event such as water bottles, Gatorade cups, banana peels and food.
- Open to opportunities: Volunteers who are flexible and open to roles anywhere are highly sought after and always appreciated. Groups without preference to an area could be placed on any of the teams mentioned above.
Group leader application
Return to the group leader application page to learn more and to apply.