Volunteer group assignments
Within the group leader application, you can select your group’s assignment preference from the following options. Please note that each group will be assigned according to past experience and event needs, and assignments are filled on a first come first served basis. Some groups may be divided or reassigned as needed.
Friday, March 19 & Saturday, March 20
Packet Pick-up is the first stop for many participants. Volunteers will welcome runners and assist with the packet and t-shirt distribution process.
Saturday, March 20
The Mile was introduced as a new addition to race weekend in 2019. The Mile takes place on Saturday of race weekend and features four waves that highlight Chicago’s diverse running community: recreational, competitive masters, competitive, and elite. Volunteers support race day bib pick-up, gear check, start line and finish line!
Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K run and 2 Mile walk
Sunday, March 21
- Aid station: Volunteers will distribute water and Gatorade to marathon participants, as well as assist with the setup and cleanup of the aid station.
- Course marshals: Volunteer as course marshals in the Loop, River North or Printer’s Row to ensure the course stays clear of spectator and vehicle traffic, and act as a source of information about the event (provided) and surrounding neighborhood. Please note your preferred neighborhood on your group leader application. Course marshals must be 18 years or older and able to stand for 4 or more hours.
- 2 Mile walk: Because these positions have shorter volunteer shifts, they are a perfect introduction to the Shamrock Shuffle. Volunteers will serve at the aid station or as course marshals for the scenic 2-mile course along Chicago’s lakefront.
- Start line: Join the excitement at the start line by regulating access to the start corrals and assisting with the forward progress of participants through the corrals.
- Finish line: Volunteers will have the opportunity to congratulate runners as they distribute items at the finish line, such as food, water, Gatorade, beer, iced towels or heatsheets.
- Post-Race Party: Volunteers will distribute beer and check IDs at the Post-Race Party. Please note that all volunteers must be 21 years of age or older.
- Harrison Volunteer Compound: A trustworthy and reliable team of volunteers is needed to help to check-in over 1,000 Grant Park volunteers and distribute uniforms as they arrive at the event site.
- Information team: Assist race participants, spectators, and other volunteers by providing general information and answering any questions they may have about the event, as well as directions to key destinations in Grant Park. Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
- Participant services: This team is devoted to ensuring race participants have an excellent experience before and after the race. Start hydration volunteers prepare and distribute Gatorade and water to participants before they make their way to the start line. Gear check volunteers collect and organize gear check bags from participants before the race and return them afterward.
- Sustainability: Help us make a difference beyond race day! Sustainability volunteers assist race participants and spectators to correctly recycle and compost specific products distributed by the event such as water bottles, Gatorade cups, banana peels and food.
- Open to opportunities: Volunteers who are flexible and open to roles anywhere are highly sought after and always appreciated. Individuals without preference to an area could be placed on any of the teams mentioned above.
Group leader application
Return to the group leader application page to learn more and to apply.