Volunteer group leaders
The Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle hosts thousands of participants every year as they kick off their running season by shuffling through the heart of Chicago. This event comes alive with the support of 3,000 volunteers and over 50 volunteer groups, coordinated by committed and enthusiastic group leaders like you.
Group leader responsibilities
- Communicate clearly with your group about the specifics of the volunteer role.
- Monitor individual registration of your volunteer group members.
- Make sure all volunteers bring valid photo identification. School IDs are accepted.
- Arrive early, as there will be enhanced security and bag screening throughout the event to access packet pick-up, Grant Park and the race course.
- Stay until the assignment is complete and your volunteer group has fulfilled their role honestly. If you cannot commit to the full shift time, please contact the Volunteer Team to look into different volunteer opportunities.
Group leader application
Prior to applying, please review the volunteer policies and the following reminders:
- New this year! We have lowered the age minimum to 14 years of age for group volunteers. One adult chaperone is required for every 10 volunteers under the age of 18 to ensure sufficient supervision. Chaperones must, without exception, be 21 years of age or older, and they must register online with their group.
- Group leaders are expected to register the number of volunteers committed in their group leader application.
- If you are unable to recruit the committed number of volunteers, your group may still participate. However, please notify the Volunteer Team as soon as possible so they can plan accordingly.
Within the group leader application, you can select your group’s assignment preference. Please allow for one week after the application is submitted to receive your group’s specific assignment.
Once you receive your assignment, all group members must register online individually by Sunday, March 15, at 11:59 p.m. Central Time.
Volunteer group donations
We understand the time and effort involved in coordinating a group of volunteers. We would like to recognize qualifying groups with a modest donation. More information and required forms will be available in advance of the event.
- The group must be a non-profit group, club or organization.
- The group must be able to present a W-9 completed for the organization or fiscal agent with a tax identification number.
- Group must check-in 20 or more volunteers on race day and/or at Packet Pick-up.
- Required forms must be submitted by the established deadline.
- Volunteer groups that participate in the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle, Bank of America Chicago 13.1 and the Bank of America Chicago Marathon in a single calendar year and meet the donation qualifications for each individual event may be eligible for a donation bonus.
Questions can be directed to email@example.com or 312.992.6623.